Thursday, September 19, 2013

Updates...Sunburst Grannies & Crochet/Fabric Blanket

Update 10/7: The sunburst granny blanket is complete. 
I chose not to block it because I liked the way it looked in its natural finished shape.  I did a few rows of hdc around the edges and finished with a picot edge. It's now for sale in my etsy shop. 

Thanks for stopping by.... T Mitchell


Update 9/23: All the Sunburst granny's are done. I laid them out today to see how I wanted to piece them together. Some of the toes came out different as some of the squares got mixed up. So far the rows have been joined horizontally with a slip stitch and now working on joining the other way.

Progress has been made on both the Sunburst Granny Squares and the crochet blanket with fabric on the back. I debated whether to complete the fourth round on the granny squares separately or join as I go. I decide to do them separately using white yarn for the fourth round.
I used the tutorial from Nittybits blog- as mentioned in the original post about this topic. Additionally I added a fifth round of single crochet in each stitch across with three sc in the corners. I have four more squares to go- 42 total them I can begin to join them. I plan to do six rows of seven and I think I will use the flat single crochet method to join and see how it looks. If I don't like it I will use the slip stitch method. Still debating what type of border I will go with. 

I have made my binding for the crochet and fabric blanket. Since I wanted a wider binding I cut more strips to make a continuos strip and zig zig stitched them together with the sewing machine. I pinned it to the crochet quilt and proceeded to sew it with my sewing machine. 
After sewing for a few. I liked the way the fabric side looked but not the back side since I tried to do both sides at once. So after a few attempts I ripped out the seams and began to hand stitch the binding instead. 
Hand sewn quilt binding
If I would have done this in the beginning I think I would have been done but I thought it was going to be much harder than it really is. I watched multiple YouTube videos and read many tutorials to see how to do this. I found the instructions at the blog Stitched-together on how to hand see a quilt binding very very helpful. I still have the back side to go. So far it seems to be going ok. Me being my worst critic there are some spots that I want to go back and redo.

Again, thanks for stopping by........ T. Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment